Who We Are…
Optimist Clubs are dedicated to “Bringing Out the Best in Kids” and do their part through community service projects. Since each Club is autonomous and run by members in their community, Optimists have the unique flexibility to serve the youth of their area in any way they see fit. Optimist Clubs see a need in their community and react to it.
Optimists strive to live up to their name and maintain an upbeat attitude, which they try to pass along to the children they serve. The words of The Optimist Creed are well known to Optimist volunteers and beyond. The creed gives volunteers a focus for personal improvement as they work to better the world around them.
The Optimist Creed
Promise Yourself …
- To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
- To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
- To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
- To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
- To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
- To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
- To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
By providing hope and positive vision, Optimists bring out the best in kids.
Optimist International will be recognized worldwide as the premier volunteer organization that values all children and helps them develop to their full potential.
Purposes of an Optimist Club
- To develop optimism as a philosophy of life, utilizing the tenets of the Optimist Creed;
- To promote an active interest in good government and civic affairs;
- To inspire respect for the law;
- To promote patriotism and work for international accord and friendship among all people;
- To aid and encourage the development of youth, in the belief that the giving of one’s self in service to others will advance the well-being of humankind, community life and the world.
- Special Population “Sunshine Dances” (monthly)
- Special Population “Sunshine Bowling” (weekly)
- Optimist Oratorical Contest (annual)
- Optimist Essay Contest (annual)
- Optimist Childhood Cancer Campaign (ongoing)
- Optimist International Junior Golf Championships (annual)
- Respect for Law/Promotion of Non-Violence (annual)
O-WS Optimist Club provides support to:
- Boys Town Central Florida
- BASE Camp Children’s Cancer Foundation, Inc.
- Lift Disability Network/BOOST Program
- Oviedo Mall “Kid Crew”
- Recreation and Parks, City of Oviedo & City of Winter Springs
- TOPP – The Oviedo Preservation Project
- Special Olympics of Seminole County
The Oviedo-Winter Springs Optimist Club was recognized by the Oviedo-Winter Springs Chamber of Commerce as the Chamber’s 2012 “Non-Profit of the Year.”